One thing I love about Jaipur is that people celebrate every festival with the same enthusiasm regardless of their religion. Since Christmas is around the corner, here are some of the famous and oldest churches in Jaipur that you can visit!
Sacred heart church, Ghat Gate
Sacred heart church is the oldest and the very first Catholic Church, not just in Jaipur, but the whole of Rajasthan. Built in 1871, the Church was built by the French Capuchins on the land donated by the Maharaja of Jaipur with the help of the state PWD. There’s a convent, bishop’s house, and Sophia school located within the church premises.
St. Xavier's Church, C Scheme
St. Xaviers Church is one of the most prominent Roman Catholic churches in Jaipur. Established in 1979 by Jesuit fathers, the church boasts of serene ambiance, making it one of the best places to spend some quiet moments. In the year 1981 the sisters of the Missionaries of Charity started a Destitute Home for the deprived and the destitute, close to the school campus and it is serving hundreds and thousands of poor people in and around Jaipur and thus bears a great Christian witness of love in the city.
St. Andrew’s Church, Chandpole
Built in an area of 43,515 Square feet, St. Andrew’s Church is one of the oldest churches in Rajasthan. It was established by the Scottish Missionaries in the year 1872. The famous clock was was installed by Maharaja Madho Singh on the tower of the church on May 7,1922 for Rs 2000.
Marthoma Church, Mansarover
Marthoma church, situated in Mansarover, features the English architectural design of the British era. The church was founded in the year 1950 by Mar Thoma Christians. The Mar Thoma Christians moved to Jaipur from Kerala in search of livelihood. They started a small gathering which has now become one of the most well known churches of Jaipur.
All Saints Church, Church Road
All Saints church is one of the most beautiful architectural marvels of Jaipur. In 1875, the Jaipur Darbar gave a site of about 17 Bighas of land and a grant of Rs. 3000 towards the building fund of the Church. The building was first opened for Divine Service on Christmas Day in 1876 and was consecrated on 4th August 1878 by the Most Rev. Dr. E.R. Johnson, Bishop of Calcutta and was named, “All Saints”.
The Pentecostal Mission Church, Vidyadhar Nagar
The Pentecostal Mission Society Church attracts lots of tourists for its Easter and Christmas celebrations. The church is well renowned for its architecture. It is located at Vidhyadhar Nagar Marg, Jaipur. The church is active every day of the week.
Mor Gregorios Jacobite Syrian Church, Gujar ki Thadi
Located at SukhVihar, Jaipur, Mor Gregorios Jacobite Syrian Church follows the Syrian Orthodox Patriarch of Antioch traditions. The church is very serene and ambient, thus attracting tourists who wish to take a break from excessive traveling or sight-seeing or crowds.